Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Golfing in February


When Puxatony Phil predicted an early spring at the beginning of this month I was pretty skeptical. However, at SMSU it seemed as if the over sized gopher may have been correct! The recent heat wave of temperatures ranging between 40-50 degrees had students digging out their short sleeve t-shirts and shorts. Make no mistake, it was no Puerto Vallarta, but it was an incredible change of pace.
With the warmer weather, many have become extremely anxious for spring and the outdoor activities that go along with it. However, with a fresh layer of snow that just hit ground, I have had to make substitutions for my favorite activities, such as golfing. I only take to the links four or five times a year and needless to say I am not very good. Nevertheless, this week at SMSU a good friend down the hall from my room decided that we needed to go golfing. That’s right folks… Wii Sports! The course was beautiful, the greens were just right and the temperature was a crisp seventy-four degrees. When I golf at the Marshall Golf Club things get interesting, but Wii Sports made me look like a young Tom Watson. After nine holes, my friend and I tied at -2. It was an intense game and made for a very exciting afternoon.
I find that one of the greatest aspects of SMSU is the down to earth students and their willingness to make new friendships. When I arrived this fall I was curious to see how easy or hard it would be to meet new people. I can honestly say that the students here are very easy-going and are some of my closest friends today.









Josh Anderson
Freshman - Springfield, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment