Friday, January 27, 2012

In the Kitchen with Katie!

Back to school means back to a routine. My routine changed a lot from last semester; more classes and less free time! I am majoring in Culinology, food science mixed with culinary arts, and have started my first culinary class on Monday nights. The seven hour class is only held once a week. For our first assignment, I had to create a savory recipe using chocolate. It could not be a dessert dish. At first, I had no idea of what I wanted to make, but after a lot of thinking and researching I came up with a chocolate curry sirloin spring salad tossed with raspberry vinaigrette. Sound pretty fancy, huh? Since I have class all day Monday, I decided to prep for my dish on Sunday. I cut the sirloin into small strips and saute them until slightly brown. As they were browning, I added curry spice, molasses, and unsweetened chocolate. When the meat was browned, I added orange juice and diced tomatoes to the mixture and set it simmer for a hour. The end result was delicious! I put the chocolate curry sirloin strips on a spring salad and drizzled it with raspberry vinaigrette. The raspberry paired perfectly with the chocolate in the meat. In class on Monday, we had to taste test every one’s chocolate savory dishes and use our scents to describe the flavors, smells, textures, and taste. It was a fun experience and I can’t wait for next Monday to see what we will be doing in class!

Katie Langel
Freshman - Remsen, Iowa

No comments:

Post a Comment