Monday, December 7, 2015

Finding the Right Major - Erin's Story




Hello!

My name is Erin Nelson, I am from St. Joseph, MN, and I am halfway through my junior year. I am currently a Marketing Major and am planning on having a career in business-to-business sales. I started at SMSU as a freshmen and had the hardest time deciding what to declare as my major. People told me to find something I enjoyed doing and would want to do as a career, but I didn’t realize that finding the right career path would be as challenging as it was. As my freshmen year of college was approaching, and I had to register for my first classes, I decided to declare myself as a Special Education major. I loved working with children when I was younger, and I had a passion for helping people. Also, I felt that Special Education would be the best fit for my personality. 

                My freshmen year started, and I was enrolled in an Introduction to Education class. The class was everything I had hoped for, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to take an education class right away in my first semester of school. During that first semester we were required to log hours in a classroom for any grade we desired to someday teach. I was placed in a third grade classroom and was assigned a student who I would then shadow throughout the day. I did about 20 hours in that classroom helping with lesson plans, getting to know the curriculum and doing projects with the kids. I learned so much in those 20 hours, and I appreciated every minute with those children, but I ultimately decided that teaching children was not the right career choice for me. 

                By taking that introduction class and putting in the classroom hours, I realized that I worked better with adults than with children. I loved being in front of groups, speaking, talking, and interacting, but I preferred my audience to be adults rather than children. After I realized that education wasn’t the right fit for me, I decided to go Undeclared for the second half of my freshmen year. I ended up taking general classes for an entire semester until I could finally find a new major that would direct me in a career I would love.  I talked to the professors on campus and it was recommended that I take a few marketing classes to see if that major would be a better fit for my personality. In those marketing classes, I grew to love the major and my professors. I had finally found my niche! I loved my sales classes, the group discussions, the presentations, and the drive that I had felt. I found a marketing advisor who would help me through my next few years and decided to officially declare Marketing as my major. I have been a marketing major for a year and a half now, and I have loved every class I’ve been in. I am now another student who can honestly say that switching majors a few times is completely normal. I wouldn’t love college as much as I do if I would’ve settled for a major I didn’t have a passion for. 

Your Success Story Begins at SMSU! 

Erin Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment