Thursday, December 3, 2015

Nya's SMSU Story



Hello Mustangs, 

I am this week’s blog post author. My name is Nya Buom, and I am a junior from Ethiopia Africa, but my family currently resides in Lincoln, Nebraska. My major is Psychology and I’m minoring in Biology. I hope to one day be a neuropsychologist.  Aside from being a student, I am also an athlete; I run track for SMSU.  My primary events are the 400m and the 4x4 relay.  I am also the campus intern for Minnesota State University Student Association (MSUSA), Vice president of the Black Student Union Club, a mentor/ tutor for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, a Student Ambassador and also secretary of the Psi Chi Club. Today I am going to share about my experience at SMSU. 

                I heard about SMSU from my coach as I was being recruited in 2013. When I first came to tour, I instantly felt like I was at home. The campus was very well kept, and the student faculty and staff were all very friendly. I remember the day I signed my letter of intent; it was one of the best days of my life. I lived on campus for two years, and I really did enjoy living on campus. It was very convenient for my busy schedule. SMSU has given me so many opportunities to be involved and meet people from all over the country. My favorite thing about SMSU is how involved it is with the Marshall community. Being a student athlete also has it benefits. We get to write letters to children in the local elementary schools and meet them once a semester. It’s amazing to see how excited these children are to meet us, and it is also amazing to see the positive impact that I am making. I’ve enjoyed every year of being at SMSU, and being involved in so many different organizations has not stopped me - it has given me a booster to obtain my degree and to prepare me for the future.

Word of advice to future students: get out and get involved right away! If you want to see change, step out of your comfort zone and go achieve those goals! College really is the best four years of your life, so make it count. 

Until next time, Go MUSTANGS!

Nya Buom 

No comments:

Post a Comment