Wednesday, November 30, 2011

SMSU Travels

Although I enjoy going home to see friends and family for Thanksgiving, I am very happy to be at school again. These next three weeks will keep every student on campus busy as the semester comes to a close. For me, I am especially excited to wrap-up the semester for one reason. On the last day of finals, myself and five other students along with some professors are flying to Jamaica. All of us are part of the on-campus organization called S.I.F.E. (Students In Free Enterprise). S.I.F.E. has been working on a project for this project for awhile now and has already sent one group to Jamaica in October. Our project is to help a rest stop holding about thirty cook shops, all serving Jamaican cuisine, become more profitable. We are teaching them basic hospitality management skills, better cooking techniques, and an overall better way to address tourists. With our help we hope that they will have a stronger income in the future and be able to live more comfortably.

For you future Mustangs, if this perks your interest then you should come to SMSU and check it out!

An event happening in the more recent future is our SMSU Men’s Basketball team hitting the road to South Dakota to take on Augustana on December, 2. If you don’t know, Augustana is one of our biggest rivals in basketball and so to give our boys all the support they need, there is a fan bus set up for students. Our mustang fans are always willing to travel to cheer! I will definitely be traveling to this game as well as many others I predict. I am excited to see one of the first games of the year!

Laura Johnson
Junior-Maple Lake, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment