Friday, November 2, 2012

Another Week Has Flown By...

Another week has flown by here at SMSU. Last weekend, my dad, mom, sister, and grandma came to visit me. It was exciting to show them around and have them see what I do on a daily basis here on campus. Now, when I call and tell them about things that I am going to, or things that happened, they can visualize where I am on campus! They also spent some time in my dorm and watched the Packers beat the Jaguars. After 9 hours on the road though, they had a long day and were tired when they got back. In the end though it was a day well spent with my family and I was sad to see them leave; But Thanksgiving is right around the corner and will be here before I know it.

Also last weekend the Fine Arts building saw many faces over the course of the days for their play, “The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940.” The theater was open for free student night on Thursday and had showings again Friday and Saturday. Being an usher for the theater department, I along with the other ushers greeted people as they entered the theater tearing tickets, handing out programs, and helping patrons to their seats. The play is very , very good! If you like a laugh and a little mystery at the same time it is definitely for you. There is still a chance to catch the play as it wraps up its production this weekend with showings on Friday and Saturday night along with a matinee showing on Sunday.

This week on campus there were high school athletic events going on. Minneota and Dawson-Boyd battled out three games in the Recreation Athletic Facility for sub-section volleyball. Today in the Regional Event Center high school teams are playing to see what football team will advance on their journey to the state tournament. This just goes to show that campus isn’t only available for SMSU students. Marshall Community members and other local schools get to experience the great things that SMSU has to offer while they are still in high school.

This week brought a few tests for me and with the semester past the half way point, final projects and group work is starting. For me, I like group work because I feel that is what the real world is going to be like. Depending on and trusting others to do work that you are a part of is something that is going to happen in the work place on a daily basis. I believe that working in groups is a great learning experience for any college student. Also this week I made a trip to Brookings, SD (my 3rd time visiting the state) with my Sweetmates to watch the SDSU vs. Black Hills basketball game. My Sweetmate, Brittany, has a high school classmate that starts on the Black Hills team so we went to support him. It was fun to experience another college setting, but it just made me reassure myself that SMSU truly is, “Where I Belong.”  As mentioned earlier, this weekend brings the play for me. Also we have a volleyball game against Augustana on Saturday as well as a football game against Condordia-St. Paul.  Good luck to both of the teams and I can’t wait to see you all there supporting the Mustangs. This weekend we will also have perspective students on campus. On Saturday the ambassadors will be out and about giving tours to those students so be sure and say hi.


I hope all of you have a great weekend! Good luck to all of you Minnesotans that will be out in the woods hunting for the big one!  Be safe and don’t let the buck fever get the best of you! :)

Until next time, Go Mustangs, and Go Pack Go!

Amanda Brunner
Sophomore - Arkansaw, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment